PAIR OF CLASSICAL BRASS ANDIRONS
WITH VERY RARE MATCHING FIRE TOOLS
John Molineux (active 1806 – 1829)
Camden, Maine 1811-1815
Brass shaft with “lemon” finials on a square plinth above cabriole legs with spurs at the knees terminating in slipper feet, conforming-shape brass log stop and iron billet bar. Each bearing the foundry mark MOLINEUX/CAMDEN.
Height: 19½” Depth: 20½” Tools Height: 32½”
First appearing in the Boston Directory in 1805 in a partnership, “Molineux and Cook” are listed as a hardware firm. From 1806 though 1809 Molineux appears alone but is still listed on Union Street in the hardware business. From 1810 until 1821 he is listed as “Founder” and from then until his death he is listed as “Brass Founder”. From 1811 to 1815 Molineux also operated a shop in Camden, Maine. In 1818 he moved his business from Union Street to 8 Marshall Lane where he remained until his death. He is known to have made at least six basic styles, more than any other founder. Marked MOLINEUX andirons are in the collections of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and Winterthur Museum.