Classical Bronze-Mounted Pier Table

Classical Bronze-Mounted Pier Table: The oblong white marble top with reeded edge above the conforming rosewood frieze with brass string inlay and a central gilt-bronze foliate appliqué and appliqués over the columns.  The white marble columns with very fine cast gilt-bronze capitals and bases with marble pilasters in the back with carved gilt-wood capitals and bases flanking a mirror plate on an oblong plinth with brass beading on its top and bottom edge, raised on four acanthus-carved animal paw feet with verde-antique paint.  H: 39"  W: 48"  
D: 19½"

IMPORTANT CLASSICAL BRONZE-MOUNTED PIER TABLE

New York, c. 1815

The oblong white marble top with reeded edge above the conforming rosewood frieze with brass string inlay and a central gilt-bronze foliate appliqué and appliqués over the columns.  The white marble columns with very fine cast gilt-bronze capitals and bases with marble pilasters in the back with carved gilt-wood capitals and bases flanking a mirror plate on an oblong plinth with brass beading on its top and bottom edge. It is raised on four acanthus-carved animal paw feet with verde-antique paint.  Woods:  Rosewood Veneer, Tulip Poplar.

H: 39″  W: 48″  D: 19½”

Condition: Excellent: Marble top repaired, mirror plate replaced, gilding and paint restored, gilt-bronze cleaned and wood re-finished with shellac in the manner of the period.

*Currently on view in our booth at the Gallery at 200 LEX in the New York Design Center, 200 Lexington Avenue, (at 32nd Street), floor 10, New York City.

This magnificent table relates to those with straight-front plinths made by Honoré Lannuier about 1810-15 although the large scale of the gilt appliqué suggests that it was made towards the latter date.  Because of the projecting plinths above the columns never used by Lannuier, it is by another New York-based French cabinetmaker or by his famous competitor, Duncan Phyfe.[1]

T-P-CS-1401022

[1] Peter M. Kenny, Honoré Lannuier: Cabinetmaker from Paris (New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1998), 160, 217.