CLASSICAL CARVED MAHOGANY PEDESTAL-END FRENCH SIDEBOARD
Labeled: John Needles (1786-1878)
Baltimore, c. 1835
The central back splash with mirror panel flanked by columns with carved Corinthian capitals, which are flanked by lower, veneered back splashes with carved garlands tracing the top edge, above a pedestal-end case with a sunken center section with marble top, flanked by raised pedestal ends each with shallow bolection-molded drawers above convex cabinet doors flanked by veneered columns with carved Corinthian capitals and bases. The central section having a pull-out serving slide above a large garage-door type cabinet door with raised fan-shaped panels. The case raised on acanthus carved ball feet. The serving slide bears a paper label reading: John Needles/ Manufacturer/ of/ CABINET FURNITURE/ 54 Hanover Street/ Baltimore. The label also has an image of two sofas, one had been published by George Smith in 1828.
H: center 62½” wings: 44¾” W: 79″ D: 26″
Condition: Excellent: Retaining original marble, mirror and hardware. Very minor veneer losses restored.
Published: Gregory R. Weidman and Jennifer F. Goldsborough, Classical Maryland 1815-1845: Fine and Decorative Arts from the Golden Age (Baltimore: Maryland Historical Society, 1993), 119, fig. 144.
John Needles is widely considered among a handful of the best and most successful cabinetmakers in Baltimore in the Classical period. Over a hundred documented pieces of his work survive. He was raised, the son of a cabinetmaker, on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and apprenticed there to John Neal of Easton for five years. In 1808 he came to Baltimore and worked briefly for Edward Priestly before joining the shop of William Camp. In March 1810 he opened his own shop at 54 Hanover Street where he remained for thirty years. Needles’ works are held in the collections of the Baltimore Museum of Art, the Maryland Historical Society, Winterthur Museum and Hampton National Historic Site.